I finally got my Marty's Cracklings

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

No photos of the actual Marty's Cracklings packs consumed, nonetheless, the writer of this blog has decided to tell the story.

Bear with me. Pepsi Max overload. @_@

I did not go to Balay today because I felt guilty being an alumna of STC and not being able to help there even if it is just near. To add to that, I've received several messages from different batches saying that many Theresians were victims. A lot of them lived in Marikina, Sta. Mesa Heights, Talayan Village, Araneta Subdivision and Frisco -- all of which were hit hard. Among the victims were Teacher Evelyn (my nursery school teacher), which would naturally include the pre-school I attended back when I was a kid and my high school English teacher, Mrs. Billones, who lost practically everything. She was the one who really got me into writing by encouraging me to sign up for the UP Campus Journalism workshop. She was also very nice to me so I felt sad upon hearing that she was a victim .

I spent most of the afternoon identifying which streets/neighborhoods wherein former Theresians lived  and were affected by typhoons with Ms. Rose of the STAA. Can I just say, OMG, there were a lot of lists. After that, I talked to other alumnae --including Mommy Yen from PBB and Mrs. Gaston, the former GSSO moderator, who apparently still remembers me from prep. Hahaha! And that was like 15 years back! :))

After all the planning and delegation, I walked home. I made a stop at Quincy to see if they have stocked up on the Marty's Cracklings Salt and Vinegar variant. Unfortunately, they only have the plain salted one. I left immediately then checked the San Miguel shop, which, by the way, still smelled like floodwater. Thank God they had new stocks of the variant i was looking for at the back of the plain salted stash. I bought two then went home.

While I was walking, I still saw people drying stuff up, doing a whole lot of laundry and cleaning up their homes. Garbage bags are still being brought out. Makes me wonder though -- are we ever going to learn from this experience or are we just going to be concerned up until a certain point then make the same mistakes again?

Well, I am hopeful that we'll learn. But for now, I'll just open a new bag of Marty's cracklings and dispose it properly. I'll see where that takes me.

0 comments: