For the love of my country. :)

Saturday, September 26, 2009

I love the Philippines is a phrase that seems a little too cliché nowadays. Everywhere I turn, I could always see three stars and a sun being donned by so many people -- accessories, shirts, caps, bags... you name it; but when we look around us, we could see vandalized walls, homeless people lying on the streets begging for food, corruption, killings, and bad governance making the headlines of the nation's leading. So are we Filipinos guilty of hypocrisy? I hope not.


When I was a bit younger, I took pride in being a third-generation Chinese immigrant by virtue of my mother. I also loved the idea that my father is of mixed descent. Somehow, I did not pay attention to the fact that I was born and raised as a Filipino. I could not care less about the things going on. I did not realize that somehow, I owe my sense of being to this hallowed land in which God has chosen to place me. I did not think that being a Filipino was a blessing and that no matter what I do, my birth certificate will always say that I am a Filipino.

It was later on in life that I wondered whatever possessed me to think that having a mixed background would be an advantage. It's not as if I'm gonna be able to go to China for free or have unlimited plates of Tapas in Spain. Being a Filipino is an imprint that we could never remove without a scar like a tattoo or draining all your blood and finding someone of the same blood type who is French or Spanish. No matter how much we rely on cosmetic surgery, we could never deny that we were born Filipino.


Much of my pride in being a Filipino lies in the fact that I know my history (maybe not as well as before) and that there are a lot of things that I could be truly proud of. My favorite moment in Philippine history would be the People Power Revolution. I love the fact that it was such a peaceful, bloodless revolution. I love the fact that it has inspired several movements around the world. I love the fact that the Philippines will never be the same since that momentous event in history. I love the fact that whatever the legacy of Edsa was is still engraved in the hearts of every Filipino. But at a certain point, I started doubting the importance of such an event.

Before Cory Aquino died in August, Edsa seemed like a thing of the past -- that people have spat on the sacrifices made by those who lined up. Or maybe those who lined up along Edsa grew tired of the same old politics which caused the revolution in the first place. I am no political expert and I will never claim to be one despite taking my masters in a program of the political science department, but I found that somehow the popularity of Edsa waned maybe because people thought that no matter how many times they rallied against the forces of evil in the government, it doesn't change the fact that corruption exists in the system. They are tired of waiting for the messianic figure who makes promises and breaks them eventually. But just as we thought that hoping for the reversal of our fate started to dwindle, the loss of the symbol of democracy has reawaken the dormant spirit of Edsa in our hearts. We started to believe again. Now that our 'people power saint' has gone to meet her creator, we knew that we could only affect change if we worked together.

As a result, scripts made by playwrights have been torn and history books are being rewritten. We have summoned the scion of the heroes of our democracy to lead us, and in what seems to be an unprecedented feat in the recent history of Philippine politics, a long-time presidentiable gave up his chances at the presidency (or at least delayed it for another six years). I thought, maybe for the first time since 1986, we will have a president by the people, and not just anyone who had his or her eyes on the position for a very long time only to advance his or her own political agenda. Noynoy Aquino may have never thought that after his mother's death, he would be called upon to lead our land. As I see it, the country needs an inspirational leader over an experienced one. Why?

Let me paint you a picture.

Estrada and Arroyo have dashed the hopes of so many people. In my perspective, it caused  a weak sense of national identity. We do not want to be identified as Filipinos simply because those who are in Malacanang broker only their personal interests. Policies are being pushed not only because they're needed but also because it will make them more potent, and in effect, will have positive reviews. They are not selfless at all. Just look at how Malacanang intervenes or reacts to any election-related news. For me, they should not even reserve the right to 1) challenge the opposition because they are not in the running for the presidency anymore and 2) bash the competition because they themselves only have a few (if there are still any) good points left. And besides, with all the wealth they've gathered for themselves vis-a-vis the growing incidence of poverty hounding the country, who wouldn't have such low morale?

That's why my vote is for Noynoy (as president) and Mar (as vice). I do not believe that we need leaders who have such a long list of credentials. I do not want to elect leaders who are only going to steal from the people. Our country needs a morale booster -- an honest leader who can push for policies without having to be recognized too much. We need a humble leader who could reach out to the masses and be the broker of their interest. We need a selfless leader who could fight for our democracy and will not change a constitution that is actually working. Above all, we need a leader who believes in God and will apply his faith in all the things that he will do for this country, just as the La Sallian prayer goes, "I will continue, o my God, to do all my actions for the love of You."

I wouldn't even care about volunteering. I've already started. And yeah, it was fun. Here are the pics from the etonAPOtalaga PiNoy Power concert last Monday, September 21, 2009. :)


yellow ribbons :D



Gomez sisters Kat and Clar. :)

Jenn Lazo was present too. (she's Noynoy's political communications assistant)

Met Bam Aquino too. Starstruck moment, believe me. :)

Aquino grandchildren, Jonty and Jiggy :)


New found friends: Liya, Margaux, Georg and Aaron :)


and to wrap up the night of celebrating freedom and love for the country:



and yes, the song's still stuck on my head up to this day, but in a good way. It's a simple reminder that we should not let anyone seize the freedom that we have achieved and are continuing to achieve as a nation and also to love our country because it is a blessing in itself from God that we could proudly call ourselves Filipinos. Let us dream for our country. Let us dream for a brighter future and put a stake on it. :)

0 comments: